Saturday, November 12, 2011

Blythe's Surprise Harry Potter 13th Birthday Party

The tradition in our family has been that the kids get birthday parties on their even birthdays, and on their odd birthdays they get to take a friend out to dinner. So this year was supposed to be an off year for Blythe. However, about a month before Blythe's birthday Brynne had the idea that it would be really fun to have a Harry Potter surprise party for Blythe. It took some convincing on her part, but I really couldn't say no. The timing was too perfect with the last movie coming out this past summer and Blythe recently finishing reading all the books herself. All three of my kids had already decided to be HP characters for Halloween. Blythe chose Bellatrix Lestrange, Brynne chose Prof. Trelawney and Barrett wanted to be Harry Potter of course!

We planned the party for Saturday October 15th, which worked out perfectly because Blythe and some of her friends had been hired to help run games at a carnival as part of a birthday party for an 8 year old girl. This meant she would be out of the house for a few hours prior to the party.

I ended up having a lot of fun preparing for the party. I found a blog at myharrypotterparty.blogspot.com that gave me some great ideas. That lady really went all out. I didn't go quite so crazy. I had a lot of help from my Mom. I was able to store everything at her house to help keep everything a surprise and she found the recipes for and then baked all the desserts, but more on those later. I also had help from Brittney, Hannah and Brynne with the decorations on the day of the party.




The dining room table all set for dinner.


Brynne, the party's instigator, dressed as a Hogwarts student.


Blythe's friends hiding while they wait for her to make her entrance.


More friends hiding.
I asked the girls to come in costume as their favorite character from Harry Potter. Most came as Hogwarts students, but one came dressed as Lord Voldemort and another came dressed as Dobby in an oversized white t-shirt and white socks. Very clever!


Blythe VERY surprised.


Still reacting to everyone jumping out.


Now just standing in shock taking everything in.

One of the ideas I took from the blog I mentioned above was creating H0neydukes, the candy shop that the Hogwarts students visit in the village of Hogsmeade. I turned my Butler's Pantry into the candy shop and at the end of the party the girls got to "shop" two at a time.


The candy counter with bags with the Honeydukes logo on them ready to hold lots of sweets.


Brittney hand created all of the labels for me.


The jar with the yellow candy is lemon drops and I repackaged them with labels saying Dumbledore's Lemon Drops. I got a big jar of jelly beans from Sam's Club and put them in individual bags and Britt wrote Bertie Botts' Every Flavour Beans on the jar. Another favorite of mine was the "Blood Pops." I bought 3 bags of Tootsie Pops and took the wrappers off all of the red ones and re-wrapped them in clear cellophane. The green box on the left has chocolate frogs in it. I don't have a photo on here of them, but my Mom also made "Cockroach Clusters" out of sugared sliced almonds covered in either dark or milk chocolate. They were by far my favorite! We came up with our version of Cockroach Clusters before a recipe showed up for them on bakingdom.com.

These golden snitches are actually Ferrero Rocher chocolates with gold vellum wings. My Mom amazingly drew the wings free hand and then I cut them all out. I forgot to take them out of the paper cups before taking the photo. But they turned out perfectly! We used a few as table decorations too.


No Harry Potter party would be complete without pumpkin juice. I was fortunate to be able to borrow the perfect goblets from Justin's Aunt Robyn. About half of the girls actually drank the pumpkin juice and all of them asked for water to drink also. I served Shepherd's Pie for dinner, but forgot to take a photo of it. It was the most authentic meal I could think of that I thought most of the girls would actually eat. I mean would any 12 or 13 year old year even taste Steak and Kidney pie? I didn't think so!

Some of the party guests admiring the desserts.


My Mom found a blog called bakingdom.com that has all sorts of Harry Potter inspired recipes. We had been wanting an excuse to try some of these recipes, so Blythe's party was the perfect reason. We decided the chocolate Cauldron cakes were a must because Blythe LOVES chocolate. We had to have the treacle tarts because those are Harry Potter's favorite dessert and my Mom insisted on the Honeydukes Candyfloss cupcakes because they were just so cute. I also decided to make pumpkin pasties, which were less cute, but tastier than the cupcakes which didn't have much flavor.


Close up of the cupcakes and yes, we made the tulle pom-poms ourselves. There are instructions on the bakingdom blog, but my Mom figured out an even better way to make them. If you are dying to know how she did it you'll have to talk to her, because I have no idea.


The cauldron cakes which amazingly tasted even better than they looked. My Mom had to order a special hemisphere pan to bake the bases in. The potion inside the cauldron is supposed to be Felix Felicis and is made by brushing gold luster dust over the frosting.


I served the pumpkin juice with dinner and butterbeer with dessert. This recipe is also from bakingdom.com. I was more surprised that many of the girls didn't drink the butterbeer. About half of the mugs looked like they hadn't been touched by the end of the party. I found the perfect mugs at Taipan Trading in Salt Lake for $2 each. I now have a set of 15 matching glass mugs. My mom found a website where someone had etched the word Butterbeer on their glass mugs, but we didn't have the time or energy to that ourselves. It would have been cute though.


The one shot I got of all the girls together.


Blythe with a candle in her cauldron cake waiting for everyone to sing Happy Birthday.


Blowing out her candle.

The beautiful birthday girl with her Mom.

Blythe ran upstairs and changed into her Bellatrix costume after she recovered from the surprise. I dressed up as a Hogwarts teacher. I wore a black blouse, skirt, boots and a silver brooch I already owned. I bought the hat at Taipan Trading and borrowed the graduation robe from Justin's aunt. My Mom had given Blythe her black skirt as an early birthday present and we found the rest of her costume at Desert Industries, which is a thrift store. I was amazed that we were able to find boots that fit her since her feet are a women's size 10.5.

In case anyone is interested in the rest of the party. I created a word scramble with words from the Harry Potter books for the girls to work on while they waited for Blythe to arrive. While she was changing I handed out a wand to any girl who hadn't brought one. (A bamboo chopstick that my Mom found at the grocery store). After she came back down we played a game where I pinned the name of a character on each girl's back and they had to figure out who it was by asking yes or no questions. Blythe was the last to figure out wh0 she was, which was Lily Potter. This was a good ice breaker. Then I gave the girls one minute to write down all the spells that they could think of. I should have given them a little bit longer.

I was surprised at the number of girls who knew next to nothing about Harry Potter. I didn't expect that they would have all read the books, but I thought that most would have seen all the movies, or at least some of the movies. This made my next activity a bit more challenging. I had prepared a trivia contest. I had borrowed two bells (or dingers) from a friend and I divided the girls into two teams making sure that they were evenly divided. I then tried to make sure that the girls who had read the books were pitted against each other, while the girls who were less familiar with the books competed against each other. This meant that instead of just going down my list of 100 questions in order I had to pick and choose as I went, but it worked out just fine. The girls seemed to have fun and each girl got at least one question right.

After the trivia game we served dinner which was Shepherd's Pie, pumpkin pasties, green peas and pumpkin juice. I should have planned to serve rolls or french bread, because I had several of the girls ask for slices of bread.

Then I brought out my box of authentic Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans that my friend Alison Russell gave me and had each girl take a turn tasting one. Each color of jellybean has two different flavors a normal tasting one and a nasty one. The girls who kept getting the good ones were disappointed and kept eating them until everyone had tasted a gross one. I had several plastic bowls on hand for the girls to spit the gross jellybeans into. Some girls were brave and actually swallowed them. I was not brave enough to sample one myself.

Then we had Blythe open her presents while everyone recovered from the Bertie Bott's beans before eating dessert. After we sang Happy Birthday to Blythe and everyone had their fill of cake I took the girls two at a time to "Honeydukes" and explained what all the candy was before having them choose what they wanted. Then we put on the DVD of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I for the girls to watch until they were picked up. Overall, it was a lot of fun and I think Blythe felt loved.




5 comments:

Kirsten said...

So fun! What a fabulous party. you all did an amazing job!

Jessica said...

Ok, first of all I am recovering from shock that you actually blogged. And then- holy cow, I had no idea what a production that was! It looks like it was awesome, and I bet Blythe LOVED it. Way to go!

Nancy said...

That was an amazing party. Great job.

alison said...

Excited you're blogging again, Jill! What a gorgeous spread!!

Gardners Glad Tidings said...

Um...all I have to say is YOU ARE AMAZING...what a shin-dig!